Thread: Dickinson
View Single Post
Unread 01-01-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Frisardi View Post
I like the whole poem. As Susan says, the bits about white in the octave are posed as questions, not answers.

It is stupid and boorish to accuse the poem of not being as good as Dickinson’s poem. There are poems about Milton that are not as good as Milton, ones about Shakespeare that are not as good as Shakespeare, etc. The world is big enough for all of it.

My one question is what Marshall mentioned about “their maker’s eye.” I did get the double reference to God and ED herself, but I’m not getting why her words would meet her eyes when she was dead.

Apropos of her tomb, I’ve always liked the story of Amherst poet Robert Francis, who, in his last years, moved to an apartment in Amherst center which he chose especially so he could see ED’s gravestone with its “Called Back” inscription. I wondered in this poem if the Called Back reference might be worked into it.
There is certainly a lot of clutter in the world. I just have reservations about adding to it: Andrew, even in the spirit of appreciation.

Last edited by W T Clark; 01-01-2024 at 09:27 AM.