Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Poetry Forums (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=32066)

W T Clark 07-02-2020 08:23 AM

Poetry Forums

Hello,
I am aware that one should message a mod before posting a poem in the critique sub-forums, but I do not know if that applies to General Talk. If so I apologise in advance for my ignorance.

I am a member of poetry free-for-all and obviously a new member of Eratosphere, and I was wondering (because I just love workshops that much!) if there are any other poetry forums of a similar quality still active on the web.
It saddens me that I am a few years too late to join poets.org or Gazebo, and now they are both inactive. M.A. Griffiths and other great internet poets have either died or wandered away and I am ashamed that I never got to meet such poets online, but we're moving away from the point.
So, I was just wondering if there were any workshops with a similar quality of critique to pffa and Eratosphere still online. There doesn't seem to be, but please tell me if you know of any!
Regards,
Cameron Clark

Jayne Osborn 07-02-2020 08:35 AM

No, there aren't any poetry workshops as good as Eratosphere, Cameron. But I would say that, wouldn't I? ;) :D

But seriously, I know of plenty of other crappy sites that I wouldn't go near! How much time do you have on your hands, I'm wondering, if you want to join other sites. (Quality, not quantity?) It's good to build up a relationship with the lovely people here - honestly, I have made a lot of really great friends on both sides of The Pond, through being a member here.

But others may know of places you could try... forgive my light-hearted treatment of your question.

Jayne

W T Clark 07-02-2020 09:06 AM

Jayne,
Thank you. A fluctuating amount of time. It's less that I want to jump on 7 forums all at the same time and more out of curiosity at the state of Internet forums. I hear there were four back in the day, and now there's only about two.

Eratosphere is really cool, I'm enjoying it here!

Jack Land 07-07-2020 12:35 PM

Jaimes Alsop

Deleted August 1st.

W T Clark 07-07-2020 12:51 PM

Why/when did Gazebo stop/fail? Why are there only two (erato and pffa) when there once was four? Where has everyone gone: Griffiths (sadly dead), Alsop (sadly dead) peter J. ross, kristalo, others who I am not aware of? It still confuses me.

R. Nemo Hill 07-07-2020 12:56 PM

Time passes.
Everything changes.

Nemo

W T Clark 07-07-2020 01:00 PM

The indomitable truth, Nemo.
But still, I wonder at the specific reasons for the closure of poets.org and The Gazebo forums.

Roger Slater 07-07-2020 01:03 PM

"I am aware that one should message a mod before posting a poem in the critique sub-forums"

Huh? Where did you get that idea?

Jack Land 07-07-2020 01:07 PM

Deleted July 11

W T Clark 07-07-2020 01:07 PM

Roger
I believe I got the idea that a new member is expected to message a moderator before posting their first poem in a workshop forum from the rules/guidence for new members.
Please inform me if that has changed.