Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   Art (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Portrait of a Gentle Giant (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=33040)

F.F. Teague 05-13-2021 02:23 PM

Portrait of a Gentle Giant

1 Attachment(s)
...from Guinea Gods & Goddesses

https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/attac...1&d=1620933354

- - -
Notes
  1. The original image is much larger than this; please zoom in for the full effect.
  2. I hesitated to post this image on the 'sphere, unsure whether anyone else might be inclined to appreciate the beauty of guinea pigs. I am very close to my subject. Of course comments concerning photography techniques, composition, etc. are appreciated; thank you.

Sarah-Jane Crowson 05-13-2021 02:58 PM

I'm not a photographer so can offer no useful technical points, and I don't know much about Guinea Pigs, but he/she looks like a true Atlas amongst Guinea Pigs and very beautifully relaxed and lovely. I love the idea of Guinea Gods and Goddesses, too.

Sarah-Jane

F.F. Teague 05-14-2021 12:14 PM

Thanks very much for your comment, Sarah-Jane :-) :>)

This is Mr Patch, one of four guineas born to Mummy Truffle (RIP) in December 2015.

Mr Patch does indeed resemble Atlas, and his laidback manner makes him a wonderful subject for photography. His coat is pretty special, being partly golden agouti. He also has a noble belt, in ginger and white.

I cannot say enough good things about guineas, so I should probably stop now, lol. Thank you very much for appreciating Mr P.

Best wishes,
Fliss

Jim Moonan 05-14-2021 06:30 PM

I have a funny story about a guinea pig that came wrapped under the tree one Christmas but that's for another time...

His coat is luxurious. As I stared Ayn the photo my eyes transfixed upon the nose, just under the nose and mouth. I saw something and then it occurred to me to block out all other features except the immediate area of the nose and mouth and — Voila! A lion!

F.F. Teague 05-15-2021 11:50 AM

Jim, I would love to read your funny story, for another time. During my convalescence, I wrote a few guinea pig stories :-)

Mr Patch's coat is indeed luxurious and I'm impressed by your visualisation skills. I'm sure he'll be pleased to be compared with a lion!

Thanks, Jim,
Fliss

mignon ledgard 05-16-2021 07:25 PM

Mr Patch

Dear Fliss,

What a wonderful photo of Mr Patch! I'm no expert on guinea pigs, but I know they can be very attached to their owners, and that they are individuals, each with a personality of their own.

I had never seen one the color of Mr Patch, not with such a thick, beautiful coat. And, pardon me, but it amuses me, to see how the top of his head is a different color--is this so?

What size is he? He does look like a friendly giant!
I smile,
~mignon

F.F. Teague 05-17-2021 01:35 PM

Dear mignon,

Many thanks for your kind comment. Yes, guineas can become very attached to their owners and they certainly have distinct personalities. That comes out in the stories I've written, I think.

Mr Patch has been very well cared for throughout this life. He was one of three boys in a litter of four. My mum kept only the little girl from that litter, so Mr Patch and one of his brothers went to live with a rather famous man and his family, as it happens (a knight). The remaining brother went to live with a vet's assistant.

Yes, Mr Patch has an amusing head. Often, with this type of colouring, there are solid patches of colour amidst the mixture of two tones.

Mr Patch weighed approximately 3 pounds and 8 ounces at the time of taking this photo. That's a superb size for a boar. He is very friendly; I visited the knight and family last Friday and Mr Patch sat happily on my lap. He also has a lovely voice; it's clear and fairly loud.

Many thanks for your interest, mignon; I'm pleased the image raises a smile :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss

John Isbell 05-20-2021 10:03 PM

Hi Fliss,

It is good to see one of the beings that lives with you. Mr Patch seems amply equipped to fill that role, and I am glad of it.

Cheers,
John

F.F. Teague 05-21-2021 12:02 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for enjoying the photo. Alas, Mr Patch does not live with me (see my response to mignon, above), but I like to keep in touch with him. He is handsome and dignified :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss

John Isbell 05-22-2021 06:35 AM

I’m not sure I’ve ever met so dark a guinea pig.

Cheers,
John

F.F. Teague 05-22-2021 11:43 AM

John, one of Mr Patch's brothers was a self black and so dark that his coat had a blue tinge. His owners called him 'Midnight' :-) (he died last year, alas)

Best wishes,
Fliss

John Isbell 05-23-2021 09:03 AM

I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Regards,
John

F.F. Teague 05-23-2021 11:57 AM

Thanks, John; you are kind :-)

Here's a link to a photo of Mr Patch and Midnight when they were just a day old. From left to right: Midnight, Mr Patch, Randolph (front), Little Mo (behind), and Mummy Truffle, of course (photo credit: my dad).

Best wishes,
Fliss

John Isbell 05-25-2021 04:00 AM

Fliss, they seem to me quite familial. Do you know the song “Five Guys Named Moe,” by Louis Jordan? I am reminded of it.

Regards,
John

John Isbell 05-25-2021 04:04 AM

I've just popped onto my computer to find a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaUqLrfEMU

Photographs do pause time and allow it to be better remembered. That seems to me a good thing.

John

F.F. Teague 05-25-2021 01:57 PM

Hi John,

Many thanks for taking a look at that photo. I didn't know 'Five Guys Named Moe', but I do now, thanks. That sax solo was amazing!

Re. photos, yes, that's a good thing. I have numerous guinea-photos and they bring me great joy :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss

Ramya Sadasivam 05-17-2022 06:02 AM

It looks very beautiful <3

F.F. Teague 05-17-2022 07:13 PM

Thank you, Ramya. I love guinea pigs; they usually have such lovely laidback temperaments :)

Best wishes,
Fliss