Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   The Accomplished Members (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pools of June (Exot Books, 2022) (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=33796)

Mary Meriam 01-10-2022 01:55 PM

Pools of June (Exot Books, 2022)

EXOT BOOKS published my first poetry collection, a chapbook, The Countess of Flatbroke, in 2006. Fifteen years later, Nemo again offered to publish a book of mine, Pools of June, with the official publication date of 2/2/22, but available now for purchase at EXOT.

Here are the blurbs:

Quote:

In this collection, filled with linguistic surprises and narrative leaps, Meriam upends the charm, ghazal, pantoum and sonnet to deliver poems of extraordinary originality. The erotic and a passionate connection to the natural world inform Meriam’s agile, imaginative poems.
—Robin Becker, author of The Black Bear Inside Me

The quality of freshness is not strained in Mary Meriam’s work. Vision, hearing and form interact in these poems to convey a sense of beauty and purpose. It takes a deft touch to kindle a new wick. How far this poet’s candle casts its light in a dark world.
—Alfred Corn, author of Unions

The translucent materials of the natural world that frequent Meriam’s ontological homes, owl-call her rich wisdom on the nature of life and existence to return to its queenly throne.
—Vi Khi Nao

Possessed of a voice both starkly candid and utterly otherworldly, Mary Meriam inhabits the varied forms of these extraordinary poems as naturally as a tree wears its leaves.
—Mark McDonnell
As if all this wasn’t joy enough, Joshua Mehigan wrote about one of the poems in Pools of June, “Dictionary of Owl,” at Root Quarterly. It’s print only, but there’s an excerpt HERE. And the poem he’s writing about is HERE.

Yesterday, I read from Pools of June live on Zoom at Carmine Street Metrics (CSM), and the video’s on YouTube. My reading starts around 1:09 HERE.

If you’d like to review Pools of June, please send me a message.

I included “the Critters” on the dedication page, and thank you again for all your excellent crits. And thank you, Alex, for creating a venue where I could meet Nemo in the first place!

Mary

Sarah-Jane Crowson 01-10-2022 03:04 PM

Huge, huge congratulations and I would love to buy your book. I've just tried and failed to purchase a copy, and if you do, in future, ship to the UK, please let us know by posting on here.

Sarah-Jane

R. Nemo Hill 01-10-2022 04:08 PM

Here is an image of the gorgeous cover.

https://exot.typepad.com/pojcover.xxs.jpg

Sarah-Jane, shipping oversea from the US has become exorbitantly expensive, and since later on the book will be available at Amazon UK, we decided not to list a shipping price for international orders. I am headed to the post office in a day or two to ship one to Mark in the UK, and I will find out precisely how much the charge is and let you know in case you want to order sooner rather than much later.

This is really an extraorodinary book by an extraordinary poet, and I urge one and all to get a copy and enjoy it.

Nemo

Andrew Frisardi 01-11-2022 06:15 AM

Fantastic, Mary. I look forward to your book reaching over this side of the ocean. I remember "Dictionary of Owl" well. It's a knockout poem. Congrats!

Siham Karami 01-11-2022 06:42 AM

Wonderful wonderful news, Mary! And what a fantastic cover! Long-deserved recognition, may the world finally discover your deeply satisfying work. We are all in need of it.

Cally Conan-Davies 01-11-2022 02:26 PM

Memsical, your CSM reading is absolutely and utterly adorable! Your creative spirit is aglow!

The book cover is a dream, and what's within a deeper dream.

Massive hugs!!

Cally

Jesse Anger 01-12-2022 12:45 PM

Cool, Mary! Bless Exot, too.

J

Mark McDonnell 01-12-2022 03:59 PM

Much love and congratulations, Mary. Your CSM reading really was amazing, it made me so happy. And the book is beautiful, inside and out. I can't wait to have it in my hands. (Thanks Nemo, for battling through snow and ice to the post office for me!)

Andrew Szilvasy 01-14-2022 08:41 AM

This is awesome Mary! I can't wait to purchase this!

John Riley 01-14-2022 09:12 AM

Congratulations, Mary. I’ll buy one ASAP.