Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   The Accomplished Members (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Honorable Mention, Sonnet Crown, PbtSea (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=34114)

Rick Mullin 05-02-2022 05:32 PM

Honorable Mention, Sonnet Crown, PbtSea

I learned that my sonnet crown, Takedown, was one of two honorable mentions in the Poetry by the Sea sonnet crown contest judged by Alicia Stallings. That poem started as a single sonnet about wrestling coaches, which is all I originally meant it to be. I brought it here and decided to go long after your critique. Thanks for the tune up on that one.

Julia Griffin came in first in crowns and first, also, in the single sonnet contest! She must be stopped!!!!!

The submissions were anonymous.

Other friends were similarly ranked.

David Rosenthal received an honorable mention and a short list mention for single sonnet.

Catherine Chandler and Dawn Manning where shortlisted in the crown category.

The other honorable mention in crowns went to Robert Rubin.

John Isbell 05-02-2022 05:34 PM

Congratulations to all, well done!

Cheers,
John

F.F. Teague 05-02-2022 07:36 PM

Yes indeedy, congratulations :)

Best wishes,
Fliss

Joe Crocker 05-03-2022 02:48 AM

Is this the poem about about a wrestling lesson where the student is picked on by a drunken coach? I remember it attracted a lot of comment, and some detailed technical discussion of wrestling terminology. Are you able to provide a link?

An honourable mention from Alicia Stallings is a proud moment. And I think we have to accept that Julia Griffin is unstoppable, a force of nature.

Well done

Joe

Rick Mullin 05-03-2022 04:56 AM

Thanks John, Fliss and Joe.

Yes, Joe, that's the one. It's not online anywhere. I am going to try to make that happen. ~,:^)

I know that Alicia is interested in rule breaking, and this crown breaks a few. I'd like to read the others. Patricia Smith has some very good sonnet crowns.

RM

Duncan Gillies MacLaurin 05-03-2022 06:38 AM

Congrats, Rick!

Duncan

Susan McLean 05-03-2022 07:27 AM

Congratulations to all the winners and finalists. Julia Griffin is amazing. I see her excellent poems all the time on Light's Poems of the Week.

Susan

Rick Mullin 05-03-2022 08:20 AM

Speaking of all the winners,

Shortlist: Individual Sonnets
“The Virgin Learning to Read” by Julia Griffin (FIRST PRIZE WINNER)
“I Liked My First Last Name” by Bethany Mootsey (HONORABLE MENTION)
“Chagall’s Midsummer Night’s Dream, 1939” by David Rosenthal (HONORABLE MENTION)
“Beta” by Elise Hempel
“The Structure of Water” by Matthew Moniz
“The Awful Peace” by David Rosenthal

Shortlist: Sonnet Crowns
“Gronnets” by Julia Griffin (FIRST PRIZE WINNER)
“My Weathers” by Robert Rubin (HONORABLE MENTION)
“Takedown” by Rick Mullin (HONORABLE MENTION)
“Ventriloquists” by Deborah Arnold
“Good-bye Song” by Catherine Chandler
“The Oregon Trail Generation: A Very Special Episode” by Dawn Manning

Roger Slater 05-03-2022 11:22 AM

Congratulations, Rick. It's nice to see so many familiar names among the winners.

David's winning two out of six spots in the single-sonnet competition is particularly impressive. David, if you're lurking, come back to the Sphere!

Rick Mullin 05-03-2022 12:07 PM

Thanks Roger, and I agree re David. I'm sure they got a bunch of crown submissions. But they were no doubt inundated with sonnet subs! Can you imagine?! Even the de-slushed pile would have had heaps of sonnets from world-scale players.